Monday 23 July 2012

Last thoughts of the USA


So before I start writing about out time in Germany, I just had a couple of random things about the States that I wanted to write about…

Food:
When we were in Hollywood, we had a really hard time finding anything healthy to eat. Most of the places along the boulevard were fast food, including one place that we went into that called itself “Indian Masala Grill”. We thought ‘grill’ sounded like it could be healthy, but I think grill means something different in the States than it does at home! It was basically curries in a bain-marie, like something you would see at a mall, except even worse. Blergh. It wasn’t until we got to New York that we discovered the best places to eat (cheaply) in the States is at diners! Funnily enough, my lovely friend Chanell told me this a while ago, but I’d completely forgotten. We went to a couple of different diners and they were very similar in price/quality/service etc – delicious, home-cooked style food with really friendly waitstaff, and all at a really good place. I highly recommend diners if you’re heading that way! (Oh and also, HUGE meals! Salad or soup is usually included with your main – or ‘entrĂ©e’ if you’re American).

Tipping:
Speaking of eating leads me to my next topic – tipping. Before going to the USA, I’m pretty sure I’d never tipped anyone ever in my life. As I’m sure most people know, tipping is pretty much mandatory in the States. When I say pretty much, I mean that I don’t think anyone is going to chase you down the street if you don’t leave a tip, but some places include it on the bill, and I don’t think you’d have much luck getting served twice in a busy pub if you didn’t bother to tip your bartender. I had no idea how much you are supposed to tip, I thought maybe around 10%, since that seemed logical (and a nice round number). Turns out the ‘going rate’ is 18%! For starters, how are you even supposed to work that out off the top of your head – we usually just tried to round it to about 20%, or to an even number. Cam was pretty annoyed when we went to one place and they included the tip on the bill, because the service hadn’t been very good. So we paid the bill but rather than rounding it up to $50 (it was about $49.65) we used all our change and left the exact amount. Apparently the reason they tip in the States is because wages for hospo workers are really low (I have heard as little as $4hr, but that was from a few years ago). That doesn’t seem very fair to me, that restaurant owners can pay their staff ridiculously crap wages, and diners are expected to make up the rest. I understand tipping when you’ve had really good service, someone who has gone out of their way to provide fantastic service to you. But just tipping them for doing their job, and not necessarily very well? Isn’t that what their boss should be paying them for?

Taxes:
In the States, taxes aren’t included on prices you are given. For example, it might say $5 on the menu, but that doesn’t include the sales tax (GST). Sales tax is different in every state apparently – around 7 – 10% in California, and 9% in the States. This is definitely less than the GST we pay at home, but man is it a pain in the arse when you are paying for something. Most food tends to be pretty cheap when you go out for dinner, but it can be so deceptive. You forget that whatever you order, you need to add sales tax, and then an 18% tip. Gah! Not good when you are running out of money and calculating exactly how many dollars you have left.

Accents:
The last thing I wanted to say is quite short. I can’t believe how many people had trouble understanding us in the US! People thought we were Australian, English, Scottish even! I spelt my name to a receptionist in the Hollywood hostel, and when I said ‘Zed’ (instead of ‘Zee’) she looked at me like I had two heads, and was like “Huh? What??!”. Surely you’d think working in a hostel you would have encountered ‘zed’ before. Anyway. We didn’t really have a hard time getting people to understand us, but there was definitely a lot of repeating ourselves and trying different words. Really strangely, people had real trouble when we said that Cam’s bag had a bike in it – repeated this several times (including Cam doing actions haha) until we said ‘bicycle’ and then they got it.

That is all, Germany soon to follow….

No comments:

Post a Comment